Thursday, November 20, 2014

When it all started....

Every woman wants a baby at some point. For some, its later in life, after they’ve become financially stable, been married about ten years, and have everything else they could possibly want out of life. For others, it sets in somewhere around college years, and they want nothing more than to settle down and get married and start making babies. That’s where I fall on the spectrum. I met my husband in college, and after we’d been together a whopping year and half, we got married. And, of course, baby fever soon set in. But it wasn’t my fault. Every one around me had their own babies, were pregnant, or were trying to get pregnant. Who was I to be any different? (I tell you, peer pressure is of the devil!) It must be a hormonal shift or something, because I definitely had a bad case of baby on the brain. But, we decided it wasn’t the best time to get pregnant right after we got married, so we decided to wait a few months and then try.

Fast-forward a year: still no baby.

Situations arise beyond your control, and you have to put what you want on the back-burner for a little while longer. My need for a baby went ignored and unacknowledged for a full year, and i had enough of it. I stopped my birth control, I started tracking my cycles thinking “it shouldn’t take more than a month or two, everyone else did this on accident!” That first negative hit me like a ton of bricks. What had i done wrong? We made sure to have sex during my fertile window and on ovulation days, but i wasn’t pregnant. I picked myself up off the floor, and said “Ok, this next cycle will be it!” changed my diet, started being healthier, took prenatal vitamins, charted, temped, sex on the regular….everything by the book. Woke up the day before my expected period, and found that it had come early. I was devastated. I could not understand why I was not pregnant yet. Maybe there was more to this than I thought…

Fast-forward six months: one miscarriage and 5 negative tests...

I learned all about OPK’s and checking CM daily (for those who don’t know what that means, you may be on the wrong blog) and found out my cycles were actually longer than normal, so I had to re-vamp my cycle calculations. Now, its November and closing in on the holidays. Do you know how hard it is to TRY to have sex on holidays, WITH DEER SEASON OPEN AS WELL? For those whose husbands don’t hunt, this will be a cake walk for you. But for those of us who lose our husbands for the next 4 months, it’s a tough one. We are currently trying the SMEP method (link at the end of the post if you are curious about it!!) and I’ll find out the 2nd week in December if its worked. I had no idea TTC would be this tough…but it is. Im 22 years old, and for some reason, having problems getting pregnant. No doctor will see you until you have been trying over a year, so im sticking it out the next 6 months, praying for a holiday miracle at this point. “You’re young…It’ll happen when it’s supposed to…Don’t think about it so much (that’s my favorite…)” these are the things I hear on a day-to-day basis. It’s easier said than done isn’t it ladies? I won’t bore you with my sap story, but know you’re not alone in this journey. It’s TOUGH being a woman who for some reason struggle with doing the ONE thing women were made to do…have babies. I may not know everything, but I know this sucks!

***Link to SMEP method website*** 

2 comments: